India has rich in hill stations spread all over the country that makes for a peaceful and pretty destination for tourists. Kashmir has some of the most beautiful hill stations in India which include Pahalgam, Gulmarg, Srinagar and Sonmarg. In Himachal Pradesh also tourists can be spoilt for choices which include Shimla, Manali and Dalhousie. Mussoorie and Nainital are among the most popular hill stations in north India. Coorg, Ooty and Kodaikanal are the most popular ones in South India. Matheran, Almora, McLeodganj, Gangtok, and Coonoor among others are the lesser crowded hill station in India.
The hill stations in India are regarded to be the best places to visit in North India because of their scenic beauty and wonderful temperatures. These hill stations in North India are preferred mostly by the people who wish to escape the scorching temperatures all over the country during the summers. Here are some of the places that are sure to amaze you!
Regarded to be one of the best hill stations in India, Manali is a paradise for all the snow lovers. With gentle temperatures during the summers, and chilling climate during the winters, Manali is one of the peaceable places to visit in North India. There are many things to do in Manali, which is lovingly known as the Valley of the Gods. Whether you are an adventure and sports fans or love calm and peaceful surroundings, Manali has something for everyone. Located at the northern end of the Kullu Valley, in between the mountains of Himachal Pradesh, it is the most fabulous hill station that is at an altitude of 2,050m. The natural scenic beauty, values and snow-capped mountains are sure to enthral you and hypnotise you no end. Visiting this place will make you realise why it is termed as such a major attraction in the Himachal tour packages.
- Nearest airport: At Bhuntar (50 km)
- Must visit places: Hidimba Devi Temple, Bhrigu Lake, Pin Valley National Park, Manali Sanctuary, Vashishth Temple, etc.
- Activities to do: Paragliding at Rohtang Pass, camping and winter sports at Solang Valley, river rafting at Pandoh Dam
- Best for: Families and Couples
- Known for: One of the best Hill Stations in North India, Manali has an unquestionable reputation for being a backpacker’s heaven at a truly idealistic celebratory destination.
One of the popular hill stations in India,Boastful the lovely beauty of the ever-wonderful Jammu and Kashmir, Gulmarg stands on a dissimilar level among all the hill stations in North India. This attractive hill station in India is the most sought-after place among all the tourists in India and abroad as well. Set at an altitude of 2,730m, Gulmarg is a hill town that is overcome by deep ravines, meadows, snow-capped peaks, lush hills and serene valleys. If you are not scared to try something adventurous, you can even pamper in some skiing that is a popular winter sport here. Gulmarg carries the glory of the ever-charming Jammu and Kashmir, making it one of the best hill stations in India.
- Nearest airport: At Srinagar (56 km)
- Must visit places: Khilanmarg, Alpather Lake, Seven Springs, Maharani Temple, Gulmarg Gondola, Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve, etc.
- Activities to do: Skiing at Gulmarg Backcountry Ski Lounge, camping at Ningle Nallah , snowboarding at Apharwat Peak, etc.
- Best for: Couples, Friends and Family
- Known for: The supreme beauty, Gulmarg is a heavely region in Baramula district of the country which is most known for being a skiing hub of the state.
Srinagar, located in the heart of the Kashmir valley is the summer state capital of Jammu and Kashmir. This spectacular hill station is at an altitude of 1,730 m above sea level. The river Jhelum passes through Srinagar city., Srinagar is certainly a beauty owing to its lovely houseboats, historic gardens, wandering rivers and perfect climate. The place boasts of the largest tulip garden in Asia and while here, you can visit the Dachigam Environment Sanctuary, Dal Lake, Amarnath Cave, Wular Lake, Jama Masjid and the Mughal Gardens.
- Nearest airport: At Bhuntar (31 km)
- Must visit places: Nishat Bagh, Shalimar Bagh, Shankracharya Temple, Hazratbal, Hari Parvat, Kheer Bhawani, etc.
- Activities to do: Boating in Dal Lake, visit Indira Gandhi Memorial Tulip Garden, etc.
- Best for: Couples, friends
- Known for: The alluring capital of the state of J&K is most popular for the lovely Dal Lake and the mesmerizing houseboats afloat on it.
Amongst must visit hill stations in India,
This colonial hill station features some of the respected educational institutions of India, stately hotels, cozy cafes, old taverns, estates, churches, buildings, offices, bustling markets, and tourist spots to lure the visitors.
Mussoorie is a sight to behold! Almost everyone has heard of it and it is on every tourist wish list when exploring the top hill stations in North India. It is way up, above the mountains of Garhwal and on top of a horseshoe crest. You will certainly be in for a treat as you check out the remarkable view of the majestic Himalayas and the Doon Valley.
- Nearest airport: At Dehradun (54 km)
- Must visit places: Kempty Falls, Mussoorie Lake, K Dev Bhoomi Wax Museum, Christ Church, Bhadraj Temple, Fish Aquarium, etc.
- Activities to do: Ziplining and other adventure sports at Adventure Park Mussoorie, boating and amusement rides at Company Bagh, etc.
- Best for Couples and Family
- Known for: Mussoorie is a famous weekend getaway destination from New Delhi, known for interesting attractions like The Cloud’s End and The Mall.
If you are on a economical and looking to cut down on the costs but at the same time understanding adventure and peacefulness that is synonymous with hill stations, you need to head to Almora. It is the least expensive hill station in India. Set at an elevation of 1,651m, it is famous for its rich cultural heritage and spectacular views of the Himalayas. While there, you can also discover the Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary, the Nanda Devi Temple, the Chitai Temple and the Almora Fort.
- Nearest airport: At Pantnagar (125 km)
- Must visit places: Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary, Jageshwar, Kasar Devi Temple, Chitai Temple, Zero Point, Katarmal Sun Temple, etc.
- Activities to do: Trekking at Ranikhet road or at Almora-Jageshwar, explore painted rock shelters, visit Deer Park, etc.
- Best for Family
- Known for: A small town in Uttaranchal, Almora is a placid Hill Station in North India better known for its relaxed atmosphere and enchanting natural beauty.
The ideal backpacker’s destination, Kasol is a district set on the banks of the river Parvati. There are many places to visit in Kasol such as the Malana Village, Parvati River and Tirthan Valley while you can also choose to sip a cuppa and laze around in this isolated heaven.
- Nearest airport: At Bhuntar (31 km)
- Must visit places: Gurudwara Shri Manikaran Sahib, Thakar Kuan, Kheer Ganga Peak, Raghunath Mandir, Malana Village Tirthan Valley, Parvati River, etc.
- Activities to do: Trekking at Chalal Trekking Trail, bath in Manikaran Hot Water Pool, etc.
- Best for: Couple, Friends and Family
- Known for: A lovely hamlet in the Kullu region of India, Kasol is easily one of the Most Beautiful Hill Stations in India, which is known for its laidback charm and tranquillity.
7.Kalimpong, West Bengal
The silent variety of the famous hill destination in West Bengal, Darjeeling, Kalimpong is as much attractive and nature-enriched place than its foreigner. The lush green hills sprinkled with soft white snow creates a magical view that you can only find here. While there are not many Things to do in Kalimpong, the loveliness of the place lies in this very fact which allows you to forget all the bothers of life and more relaxes you to your very core.
- Nearest Airport: Bagdogra Airport
- Must-Visit Places: Lepcha Museum, Durpin Dara hill, Rishi Bankim Chandra Park, Zong Dong Palri Fo Brang Gompa, Morgan House built during the colonial times and the unique Cactus nursery.
- Activities to Do: Discover the enigmatic Buddhist culture, visit and indulge in nature photography at Neora Valley National Park, hike to Deolo hill and enjoy activities like Paragliding and horse riding, shop for lovely Tibetan handicraft items, etc.
- Best for: Couples and Senior Citizens
- Known for: famous weekend getaway destination, Peaceful surroundings, Buddhist culture, and monasteries.
8. Pelling, Sikkim
Pelling is a minor known but one of the absolute Best Hill Stations in India which stands out for being a pretty hideout in the western part of lovely Sikkim. With not just repetitive natural beauty but a fantastic cultural festival to boast about, the place is certainly a beautiful place to escape the everyday of everyday life. Surrounded by the snowy summits of Kanchenjunga range this small town lets you rejuvenate thoroughly, sipping a hot cup of tea and gazing at the gorgeous beauty of Pelling.
- Nearest Airport: Bagdogra Airport
- Must-Visit Places: Sangachoeling Monastery, Singshore bridge, Pemayangtse Monastery, Rimbi Waterfall, Kanchenjunga Waterfall, Kanchenjunga National Park, etc.
- Activities to Do: Hike to the nearby village of Darpa, have a picnic at Sewaro Rock Garden, attend Maghe Purne Festival celebrated at the delightful Khecheopalri Lake, explore the verdant meadows of Kaluk village, etc.
- Best for: Families and Friends
- Known for: Buddhist culture, monasteries and peaceful environs
9. Coorg, Karnataka
With a nickname like ‘Scotland of East’, Coorg’s loveliness and charisma do not need an introduction. The thick blankets of foliage spread all around, and sparkling blue skies make this place a frankly sparkling hill station which attracts people from all over the country and beyond. It is also well-known for its aromatic coffee, delicious food and plentiful wildlife which impart it a unique magnetism pulling nature lovers, photographers and food experts with equal force.
- Nearest Airport: Mysore
- Must-Visit Places: Namdroling Monastery or Golden Temple, Abbey Falls, Raja’s Seat, Iruppu Falls, Nagarahole Wild Life Sanctuary, Madikeri, Talakaveri etc.
- Activities to Do: Have fun bathing elephants at Dubare Elephant Camp, trek through Tadiandamol, Mullayanagiri, Kodachadri or Brahmagiri, enjoy a hearty meal of Coorg special Pandi Curry with Akki Roti, take a relaxing walk through a coffee plantation, and enjoy activities like camping, fishing and river rafting, etc.
- Best for: Couples
- Known for: Coffee plantations and misty mountains
10 Munnar, Kerala
The continuing hills of Munnar in Kerala have always provided people with the ultimate haven for achieving utter bliss and respite. Blessed with vast springs of tea and spice plantations, wonderful wildlife and exhaustive natural beauty at every corner, Munnar certainly lies among the top Best Hill Stations in India. Sought by romantics and honeymooners in large number every year the place doesn’t just appease you with its natural magnificence but also with productive events that you can enjoy here including trekking, yoga, Ayurvedic spa treatments, food trails and shopping.
- Nearest Airport: Cochin
- Must-Visit Places: Tea gardens along Kolukkumalai Hills, Echo Point, Attukal Waterfalls, Top Station, Kundala Lake, Tata Tea Museum, Matupetty Dam etc.
- Activities to Do: Birdwatching at Thekkady Bird Sanctuary, wildlife spotting at Eravikulam National Park, enjoy mountain biking at Anamudi Shola or Vandanmedu areas, have a picnic at Lakkam Waterfalls, rock climbing, rappelling etc.
- Best for: Couples
- Known for: Tea and spice plantations