These homemade samosas are flaky and crispy or as you say in Hindi it’s Khasta, from outside with a tasty and spicy aloo matar stuffing. I would suggest you make samosas at home when you have ample time and patience too. I bet you would never feel like buying samosas from the market anymore. Also, homemade samosas are way more hygienic and made with fresh and organic veggies & spices of your kitchen.
Samosa, a popular ‘Indian’ snack is traditionally made with a potato based filling, wrapped and fried in a triangular pastry. This stuffing is the easiest ever Samosa stuffing recipe that is ready in 30 minutes and doesn’t require hours of cooking and yet tastes delicious.
Classic Samosa Recipe- Samosa Recipe with Potato filling.
- All purpose flour/ maida – 1 cup
- Carom seeds/Ajwain/omam – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – approx 1/2 tsp
Ingredients for the potato filling.
- Onion – 1
- Green chilli -1
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Potato – 3 medium size
- Coriander leaves – few (optional)
- Chilli powder -1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder -1 tsp
- Cumin powder -1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice to taste
Important tips for making a recipe for Khasta samosa.
- Use ghee instead of oil while kneading the dough. This will make the moyan perfect and will make the crust rich in flavours.
- Give special attention while kneading the dough. It should be tough and firm. Make sure to let it rest for at least 15 20 mins before rolling samosa sheets.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste varying from less spicy to spicier.
- Make sure the oil is moderate hot while frying, this will cook the samosas from inside while making the outer layer crisp and crunchy. Also, super hot or smoky hot oil will lead to air pockets on samosa crust.
- Thin samosa sheets can result in soft crust making it soggy when cools down. Too thick sheets will take more time for frying making it harder to chew.
- Serve and enjoy the hot or warm aloo samosa with green coriander chutney, tamarind chutney, tomato ketchup for kids, fried and salted green chillies for adults